Wednesday, October 10, 2018

I met the real Jimmy Washington from "The Ringer"

What's up family, 

I hope you've all had an awesome week. To be honest, besides General Conference, theres just not a whole lot else to write about. So I'll try my best to tell you all the highlights of this past week. 

Last Wednesday we took our second visit to the temple. I love going to the temple for a few reasons. First off, it's the only way to get outside of the gates in the CCM. Being cooped up in a class nearly 8 hours a day, the temple is always a day you look forward to. You get to see different people, and the cool streets of Mexico city. The second reason I love the temple is because they have a small gift store right outside. They sell scripture cases, t-shirts, and super cool knitted ties, which are my favorite. They are 300 pesos which is roughly 18 bucks. You know they're making a fortune when it literally only costs them less than dollar and every white guy in the CCM is wearing one. Haha. I'll have a picture in the drive of the ones I got. The third and final reason I love visiting the temple is because it's truly an amazing temple. As I've mentioned in the past letter, it's the largest temple outside the U.S. The pictures do not describe the size of the Mexico Temple. It also amazes me to see how well kept the temple grounds are and always maintained. Even here at the CCM, every morning you will see a bunch of workers edging, mowing and doing general cleanup. Some days I wish I had the Toro mower and was mowing the lawn. Yes, the temple is truly amazing and the experience inside can be as well.
 


My companions, Elder Mazaleyrat, Hilton and I are all doing great. Our lessons we've been teaching have been improving but there is always room for improvement. Our district is truly awesome. There is really only two guys that joke around in the classroom, and that would probably be me and Elder Stock. He has the same personality as me, and yes that's including all the dumb and dumber quotes and what not. He's even seen "The Ringer" which always makes for a funny conversation. Theres also another missionary, not in our district or zone, but his name is Elder Newton. Man, this guy is hilarious, and our personalities are also the same. He flew in with basically my whole district, which is why we know each other, and we sit next to each other during our meals.There are days where I've never laughed my head off so hard over some of the things we've talk about. I love it. I'll add some photos of him and I, plus our district in the drive. 



The Spanish is coming. If it's clear and not 100 miles per hour from a Latino, I can pretty well understand everything. As far as my speaking ability, I think it alright. It's no where near fluent, but I know that it will be with time. The food here is always great. Pineapple, watermelon, and cantaloupe are really getting old though. The Horchata (the milk after you eat cinnamon toast crunch) is not  too bad. not too good.  They always water it down so it just taste weird. My favorite drink is this mango orange stuff. It's so good. I have it every meal. Theres a few responsibilities that zone leaders have. We have meetings Sunday morning and few others throughout the week. We get the sacrament set up, the sacrament meeting set up with prayers and hymns. We are also in charge of the Zone meeting on Saturday evenings. There was a newish elder who came in a few weeks ago and was assigned district leader in his district. Well he thought he owned the world with his calling and he started to tell people to only listen to him and what he says, goes. Well the three of us heard about him and so we talked to his companion to see what was actually going on. What he said he was doing was true and so we had a meeting with him personally to calm him down and tell him what his role was as a district leader. 

Well it finally happened. First session, Saturday morning, President Nelson dropped the 2 hour church. For me, it hasn't really sunk it yet, but we all were anticipating that it would happen. I love how the they came out with a new Come Follow me program with the new additional program for Individuals and Families. It's great to see the church wanting more focused time in the home. What about those temples. President Nelson isn't messing around when he announces 12 new temples at one time. As you can tell the church is expanding and he wants everyone to be able to enjoy and have the opportunities to visit the temples. 

All the talks were great. A common theme I noticed between most of then was "Staying on the Path". I'm not sure who gave the talk, maybe Elder Neil L Anderson, but someone mentioned why we have to face and will face difficulties in our lives. I just couldn't help to think of Dad's quote, "We do Hard Things". Another talk that kind of took me by surprise was President Nelson's Sunday morning session talk. I like how he addressed we aren't Mormons, but Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was a powerful talk and he said some pretty cool blessings when we use the Lords name in his church.

We truly have the best family. Some days I look around at the Elders and Hermanas, and just think if I have nothing else, I do have the best family. We are so blessed. Thanks for the package and the letters. The trail mix is the best. Those are my favorite days. It's hard to believe I've been out for 4 weeks now. 2 more to go. 

Love you all so so much. 

Elder Nissinen. 

This will explain the title of my letter. The guy on the left of me looks identical to Jimmy Washington. I had to get a picture. Every time I see him I think in my head the quote he says in the movie. "I do it for all of you" 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment