Thursday, November 15, 2018

The 2 Month Mark!

Wow, I can't believe it been two months already since I've been out. Time surely has flown by. Well, its seems like yesterday I emailed you all, but I'm excited to tell you about my week. 


To start off the weather has changed quite a bit. Its super cold in the mornings and gets super cold in the evenings. During the day, however, the weather is perfect and the skies are clear. Most mornings it drops down in the 20s and low 30s through the evenings. So you definitely have to bundle up, luckily we do have the car. We have never ridden our bikes, primarily because we cover a pretty good size area, although some days I wish we could just for exercise. Haha. 

Dinners have been going great. I honestly never know if I'm going to get an American meal, Mexican meal or an American Mexican meal. I hope that makes sense. Haha. 
For instance, they may have burgers one night, then Mole (Mol-eh, not sure if that's spelt right) the next. So it all depends on the mom that's cooking it. One interesting thing I've noticed as well, if it isn't an American family, is that the parents won't eat with the missionaries. The mom will always be cooking something, while the dad talks with us. Rarely will you get the whole family together which is unlike American dinners at home. 



Last Friday our branch had our Thanksgiving Dinner at the church. Yes, that's a little on the early side but that's just the way things turned out to be. We had a great turnout and it seems to be more people show up to these kinds of activities when there's food involved. So we might have to do this more often to get more people to come to church. 


We have been teaching the Ruiz family as often as we can or as their schedule allows. One night we stopped by to visit and they were watching Nacho Libro, but they let us in anyway. Hah. Both the parents work, so it's tough to get them both home at the same time. They have 3 kids, one is 11, and the other two are 7 and 4. They live in a Trailer Home, so some nights the kids can be loud. So I bring out my silly putty and tell them they can play with it as long as they sit quietly, and it works! I guess you can say I work well with kids. Haha. The parents are both reading in the Book of Mormon, which I wasn't totally expecting that, but it made me pretty happy. We will have an appointment with them tonight, so hopefully they're just home. That's one of the problems we face the most is people not following up with appointments, but we are pushing through. We also have been teaching Miguel and his wife Lucia. They are super nice and have pretty good potential, we'll see how next week plays out for that. 

Since I'm sure everyone is wondering how my Spanish is doing, I'll write something about that. All I can really say is its coming along. Unfortunately I don't use Spanish all the time because some people we teach or talk to speaks English, especially the kids. Although I am studying all I can, the best practice is when we are teaching or having dinner. So I try as much as I can to use Spanish. I understand pretty well most of the time, again if they don't speak a hundred miles per hour, but learning and being able to somewhat speak Spanish is fun and I can't wait to  see where I'm at a year from now.  


Well that basically wraps up this week. Our refrigerator is temporarily fixed and seems to be working for the most part. We will be getting a new one this Wednesday, so looking forward to that. This upcoming week we have a few meetings and conferences in Yakima, so a little more driving than we like to do, but I love visiting Yakima. 



I hope all is going well at home. Keep working and studying hard in school and at work. Love you all and miss each one of you a lot. Peace out. 

Elder Nissinen 

Make sure to look in the google drive for some pictures this week. They won't be uploaded immediately, but I'll be working on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment