Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Saviour

Dear family and friends, 


Our week has been interesting. We've set out on finding new investigators, and we found 5 new investigators that have some good potential! I would say the work is picking up.

For some reason or another, this week has been a little faith-trying for me. Several of these new investigators have deep concerns and have even tried to argue different points of doctrine. One of these is a man named Saviour. 

Saviour is a middle-aged guy that was a referral from other missionaries. We met with him Tuesday and quickly realized he knew the Bible extremely well, better than anyone I've ever met in my life. He also knew a bit about the Church and wanted to know more about the Book of Mormon. As we taught him, he gave several scriptures as a defense against our beliefs. However, he really liked our visit and invited us to come back Wednesday. It turns out we visited him for 4 straight days! Each time we came, he prepared a long list of questions and dozens of Bible quotations for us to go over. It's hard not to turn it into a scholarly debate and maintain the Spirit. I leave feeling like I just took the ACT. He's very interested in our message, but has a hard time believing what we've said. Each time we went back, I felt a little scared for what he might throw at us. It's made me ponder what I personally believe and preach. Hopefully he softens his heart, prays for the truth, and gets an answer. We'll see!
A cool moth I saw this week.

Lessons with Saviour are similar to other lessons we had too. Most of the time, our lessons with people are very simple, because they're humble and usually don't know deep doctrine. So when really smart people come along, it's a challenge! It reminds me of Corihor and Zeezrom trying to trip-up Alma and Aaron. 

Anyways, we didn't have any investigators at sacrament meeting. This Sunday we're inviting all we can to attend the LIVE session of General Conference. Somehow or another we're watching Saturday session and Sunday morning session. It's really exciting. 

Elder Effiom's training is going great. We have great companionship study in the morning. We like doing "role-plays", acting out difference situations. 


We spent the night in the other missionaries' area so I could conduct some interviews for two of their candidates. The interviews were translated, so that was a new experience. 
Things are going good. I'm happy to be doing what I'm doing!  This week marks 6 months in Ho. 

Love all of you, 

Elder Nissinen

No comments:

Post a Comment